Tuesday, August 14, 2007

hp pavilion zt130,hp omnibook xt1000,hp f2299a review

Hp pavilion zt1130,hp omnibook xt1000,f2299a laptop battery


Linux (sid) on the HP Omnibook XT 1000


Kernel


The 2.6 kernel is stable enough for me and in fact I am not disappointed. Hardware support for the XT 1000 was already good in 2.4, but it's gotten even better in the 2.6 kernel. Here's my config-2.6.6 in case you want to have a look at it.(Please note that you should use at least kernel 2.4.22 because from this kernel on the important patches that make ACPI usable on the XT 1000 are integrated into the kernel source and you don't have to patch manually anymore.)

Problems


When I still used BIOS versions 1.05 and smaller, the notebook had the problem that it turned itself off very rarely when pressing a key on the keyboard. When using the notebook very intensively, this happend once a day for me. The notebook ran days without turning itself off as long as I didn't hit a key on the keyboard. I've got lots of responses from other people who are suffering from the same problem. However, upgrading the BIOS to version 1.09 and then to 1.10 completely solved the problem for me. I didn't experience one single shutdown since I upgraded the BIOS. Now, my XT 1000 completely broke. It started with some keys not working sometimes (amongst those keys were always G, H, Del and some function keys). Then the touchpad didn't work always. The next thing which failed was the backlight of the TFT. And finally, the XT 1000 crashed during usage. This happened regardless of what OS I was running and whether I was running an OS at all: It once crashed in the GRUB bootloader. In the end, it didn't start anymore at all. It just beeped at you when you wanted to turn it on. I brought it back to the vendor where I bought the XT 1000 and he sent it to HP. After 14 days they returned it but it still didn't work. Again I brought it to the vendor and now, after another 14 days, they told me that HP will replace the motherboard. I now got back my XT 1000 and indeed, it works again.

IrDA


It doesn't seem to work in 2.4 kernels. But for 2.6 kernels, you have to enable the via-ircc.o and irda.o modules when building the kernel. Installing irda-utils then makes the infrared port work.

PCMCIA


Not tested yet, as everything I need is included without having to use PCMCIA. But inserting a card into the slot showed the card in cardinfo, so I assume it works. And I have several reports that it's indeed working.

Battery:


This HP F2299A laptop computer battery Pack is a Li-ion, 447.92 g, 4400mAh, 11.1V(Not Compatible with 14.8V), rechargeable HP F2299A battery,removable battery designed to work with portable computers, replace for HP F2299A battery notebook computer,discount hp f2299a battery.

No comments: