Monday, September 17, 2007

sony vaio vgn-fs laptop review

Sony vaio vgn-fs laptop review


There are currently 145+ different models of the VGN-FS series which the oranginal battery code is sony vgp-bps2 & growing due to popular demand. Many of which have won awards for design & overall usability. Unlike a lot of the other laptops/notebooks that have been hitting the shelves recently, the FS series have NOT been designed for being used primeraly as a desktop replacement. They have been designed to be stylish, portable & to include the most useful features that people want from a laptop. This of course makes them perfect for home & office use, as well as for people who like (or need) to travel a lot. Movies & video’s look fantastic on them, thanks to the 15.4″ WXGA TFT screen with 1280×800 resolution & (second-generation) X-black technology. and the sony vgp-bps2 battery can last for 3-4 hours long , if you want to keep the batteries last long , you can select the 20000mah external laptop battery.The picture is sharp & the colours are vibrant. The 3D capabilities differ from model to model, but all of the models in the FS series have enough graphics power to handle everyday 3D tasks for programs & most 3D games (with the exception of the newer 3D intensive games of course).


For last one month or so, i was trying hard to install a stable flavor of linux on my laptop VGN FS. To start with, I tried Fedora core 3. It couldnt recognize my sound card, touchpad (tapping and scrolling wasnt working properly) and my display was a pathetic 1024×768when I have 1280×800 resolution capability on my XBlack LCD screen). in short, nothing was really working ;). So i thought of upgrading it to FC4, in the hope that things will probably go better. Meanwhile, I tried 3 different kernels and tried installing drivers for my display I915GM and soundcard(RealTek) but it kept on troubling me in something or the other. In short, it didnt recognize even the basic hardware of my machine properly. After lot of painful nights of Red-ha(ck)ting, I thought of trying some new linux, and I downloaded Mandrake 10.1 from DC++.


It was very cool and user-friendly OS in my opinion, it looks good — icons, wallpapers and other stuff is very attractive. But on the front of hardware recognition, it was more or less like Redhat FC3. I.e, 1024×800, no soundcard detection and touchpad with very basic capabilities. So i decided to move on and again connected DC++ for SuSE9.3 this time. Suse 9.3 was some 3.5 GB stuff on a DVD. let me tell you that installing SuSe is a different experience alltogether. I am very much impressed by its intelligence :). it probed all the hardware properly including touchpad and sound and i got a professional(Novell) linux flavour on my machine. But I wasn't satisfied with my display. I tried changing modeline stuff and did lot of tweaking in the xorg.conf to accomodate my non-standard display, but no efforts of mine tasted success. It is then, I came across this website: link and then i realized that I have to change my VBIOs settings using the tool 915resolution from : link It is because my VBIOS has some fixed set of resolutions and no matter what I write in my xorg.conf, it always take some fitting resolution form the fixed settings and gave me 1024×768 always. I changes the setting using this tool and lo, i got the perfect resolution for my screen. Now My Laptop is working perfectly fine on Suse 9.3 and I have fallen in love with it SuSe


I use sony vgp-bps2 laptop battery in my vaio vgn-fs laptop,Battery run-time on the Vaio VGN-FS Series laptop is difficult to determine. Actual Vaio VGN-FS Series battery running time depends upon the power demands made by tde equipment, the use of the screen, the hard drive and other accessories results in an additional drain upon the SONY battery, effectively reducing its running time. the total run-time of the battery is also dependent upon the design of tde equipment. Generally, a new Hi-Capacity sony vgp-bps2 battery will run 30% to 50% longer than the old battery did when it was new.

No comments: